Horry Electric’s chapter of W.I.R.E. (Women Involved in Rural Electrification) is offering a $1500 scholarship to an eligible high school senior who plans on attending either Coastal Carolina University or Horry Georgetown Technical College in the Fall of 2019. The applicant must be the child or dependent of a member of Horry Electric Cooperative, Inc. and live in the home with the member in order to qualify.
The scholarship award is for one academic year for an entering freshman. $750 will be given for the fall semester. An additional $750 will be given for the spring semester, contingent upon meeting the 2.5 GPR requirement.
Scholarship Criteria includes:
- Applicant must be a member or dependent of a member of Horry Electric Cooperative, Inc. and must live in the home with the Member of Horry Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Awards are for one academic year for an entering freshman. $750.00 will be given for the fall semester; an additional $750.00 will be given for the spring semester contingent up meeting the G.P.R. requirement. One $1500.00 total scholarship.
- Scholarship recipient must have at least a cumulative 2.5 G.P.R. at the end of the first semester of college to receive the second-semester scholarship balance of $750.00. Copies of grades need to be given to Susan Brown at the end of the first semester when registering for the second semester to receive the final check.
- Loans and/or college work-study awards received in addition to this scholarship do not reduce its’ full value in any way.
- In accepting this scholarship, the student gives consent to the release of grades and other relevant information to the scholarship sponsor at the end of each semester.
- All applications must be received by Horry Electric’s WIRE Group by Friday, March 1st, 2019. Applications received after Friday, March 1, 2019, are NOT eligible.
- Applicants must be attending Coastal Carolina University or Horry-Georgetown Technical College only. Disbursement of these funds will be handled by Coastal Carolina University or Horry-Georgetown Technical College as per their procedures. (12th-grade seniors who plan to attend CCU or HGTC may apply.)
- In the event there is no qualified applicant, the scholarship is suspended for that year.
- In the event that the scholarship recipient receives the first $750 for the Fall Semester and does not maintain GPR and/or drops out of school, the balance of the scholarship is suspended for that applicant and for the remainder of that school year/spring semester. And suspended indefinitely for that student.
- Financial need will be an important consideration in determining a winner.
- Students may be asked to participate in an interview process as a final step in this process; however, by completing and returning the application is no guarantee that every applicant will gain an interview. Those selected for an interview will be contacted
Applications have been sent to all high schools in Horry County and are available for students through the guidance counselor. Students can also download and print the application from this news story. All applications should be mailed to Mrs. Susan Brown – WIRE SCHOLARSHIP; Horry Electric Cooperative, Inc.; Post Office Box 119; Conway, South Carolina; 29528-0119
Application deadline is Friday, March 1, 2019. Fax copies are not accepted. All instructions are specified on the application.
WIRE Scholarship Criteria for 2019
WIRE Scholarship Application 2019
Questions? Call 843.369.2211 or email Mrs. Susan Brown.